Sunday, May 29, 2011

Poppin for Bass

   Went out today to Arrowhead Lake. It is just a short drive from home and I have heard there are some bass in there. So I wanted to find out for myself. The weather almost kept me indoors today as we had a lot of severe thunderstorms pass through our area. Fortunately the storms weren't as bad as they could have been.
 
  We did get a lot of rain, but it stopped around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. So there was still some time to get out and fish, but what were the water conditions?? After the rain finally stopped, the sun came out and it was beautiful weather wise. It was just about 75 degrees out and just a slight breeze at times.Well, the water was very murky and was also very high, but I took the 5wt out today anyway and was happy I did!!  So.................... lets get to the fishing!!!

  I took out the 5wt and tied on a pretty good size green popper. Top water was the ticket today!! I can't lie, I just love top water fishing. There is just something about the way a fly lands on the water and then that explosive action of a fish slamming it!! BAM!! FISH ON!!! It's exciting. Anyway, there were roughly another dozen people out there fishing today. Most of them were already there when I got there, As I walked to my first spot, I casually asked people how they were doin? Every single person said they hadn't even gotten a hit. I never rely on that too much cause I just don't know what the skill level is of the people I'm asking. But I still like to ask just to see whats going on. So I finally got to my spot and spent a couple minutes deciding where the first cast would be. While I'm looking around I spot just slight movement in the water about a foot from shore. Thats where my first cast was, and thats where I got my first Largemouth of the day.

   I walked around and fished several spots. Most fish were caught within 3 to 4 feet from the shore. I ended up catching 7 Largemouth. Most were in the 10 to 12 inch range. With a couple 14ers and one 16. All in all a good day. The whole time I was there I saw only one other person catch any fish. But even he only caught one. I was really suprised cause they were most certainly biting. Oh well, whatcha gonna do. 4 Bass were caught on the green popper and 3 were caught on a size 10 spider.  Here are the pics from the day. Hope you enjoy!!!!!












Till next time.......
Tight Lines,
Woollybugger

No comments:

Post a Comment