Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Catching up 2010-2011 Pt3

So these will be the last of the Pictures from 2010................     And some of  the first from 2011............

On our way home from visiting my dad

Liz took some pictures of the drive........


We had a really good trip..........

even though....
the ride takes about ten hours now





So now it's November and I did a little more hiking around and exploring some local places that seem to be pretty much untouched. Every time I have been to Tinley Creek I have only seen people in the parking lot maybe three or four times. And I have never seen anyone hiking the trails or fishing.

Here are more pictures of a hike on Tinley Creek.....

Another sunset


There were parts of the trail that were almost impassable
The storms over the summer had really done a number on the creek.





It is always relaxing to get out and enjoy nature. I am hoping to get out a lot this coming summer. I have a lot of new places I would like to Fish and Hike.








So December finally rolled around and it was time to start tying some flies. Fairly new to fly tying I went out to Cabela's for a free class on tying. they showed me this pattern they said would be good for Ice Fishing. However, I never got a chance to try out the pattern.

My Fly Tying Supplies

The ice fishing pattern

The belly
 Its a pattern that you actually have to weave to get the belly a different color than the back.
The back


These are my spiders

They are a lot of fun to tie, and not very hard. So I would say a good pattern to start tying flies with.

In January 2011 I went down to Navy Pier to check out some Dog Sledding .........











They were a good bunch of pups!!! The people were very nice too. Talked quite a while about dog sledding with the mushers. It has always been a dream/goal of mine to dog sled someday. So it was a lot of fun for me.









February of 2011 we had the biggest snowfall in Chicago in over twenty years. Perfect  opportunity for some pictures and some snow shoeing!!!!!

                                                                   Snowpocalypse 2011!!!!



 It literally took over three hours to shovel us out. I don't remember ever getting that much snow in one night before. It was pretty crazy and pretty awesome at the same time.










          And then it was time to break out my snowshoes. I went Snowshoeing. a few days later. It was a lot of fun. I hiked out on the Palos Mountain Biking trails. Even hiked across Maple Lake. It was pretty cool. 
 Kinda hard to take pictures of yourself with out a tripod of some sort.
 But I think they turned out alright.


It left me wanting more fresh snow to go play in.












Later in February, I went with my sister Laurie, to Starved Rock State Park for some good hiking action. And maybe some pictures of the frozen waterfalls.


It always fun going hiking with Laurie. We have been hiking together for a long, LONG time. It is really relaxing to just be outside even if it's really cold.












 It's always nice to have good company on a long day hike....

 So there wasn't much in the way of frozen waterfalls, but it was still a really good trip. I think we were both really glad that we made the choice to bring the Yax Trax with too.


No comments:

Post a Comment