Friday, June 10, 2011

Lake Front Woolly Buggin @ Lake Michigan

  So for the past few days it's been ridiculously hot outside. Temps in the upper 90's with a heat index of over 100 degrees during the day, and at night the lows have still been in the 80's. So it's not weather for everyone, but I love the heat!!! So, After work on Wednesday, I decided to hit the lake front. I've heard that the Smallies are starting to show up here and there as well as the Perch. However, I got up to Diversey Harbor and there was no place to park. I ended up parking further north by Belmont. So I unloaded the car and took out the 8wt. Geared up for getting down!!! 
  I walked out to Belmont harbor and just kinda scouted the area for a while. I was looking for any signs of life for a while as I walked. I must have seen a couple hundred carp in the 10 to 12 pound range just kinda hanging out. I saw one Smallie and a couple Largemouth just hanging around too. The Bass weren't interested in anything I had to offer. I tossed several different poppers, a couple spiders and other terrestrials. However, no dice. Sad day. So after about 45 minutes of completely failing to get any Bass, even with having the visual on them I decided to move on. Tossed a few nymphs at the carp and I could almost hear them all chuckling at me,
  I decided to pack it up and call it a day, as I had to go to my night job. On the walk back to the Jeep I pulled my infamous one last cast as I neared the other end of the harbor. I had tied on a size 8 woolly bugger in olive. As soon as I tossed it in, I had a good feeling because as it sank, I could see a fish rise to it. I never felt it , but as I saw the fish near, it made a sudden jerking motion and BAM.......... I set the hook!!! I ended up just jiggin my woolly bugger and catching all the fish that way. As you probably guessed by now if you read my posts regularly, I generally don't carry a scale on me, but I usually will have a measuring tape. Well, This time I got nothing!
  I ended up catching a dozen fish and going in to work a little late!!

  Fish totals for the day:
      11 Rock Bass
      1  Sunfish
All were caught on the woolly bugger. And all were released after a quick snapshot.
Here are just a couple pictures from the day.  Hope you enjoy!!!!
This one looks like something took a swipe at it

This one was about the average size.


They were all around six to eight inches. Well, that's it for now,

Till next time,
Tight Lines,
Woolly Bugger

2 comments:

  1. I sure did!!! Every time I get a hook up with a fish it turns into a really good day! haha Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete