Monday, June 20, 2011

Back to Arrowhead Lake

Last week I went out to Arrowhead Lake again just for a few minutes right before dark. I had a really busy week and weekend so I didn't have time to post it up till today. I'll be posting  the weekend adventure tomorrow. Anywho, back to Arrowhead. Every time I'm there, the parking lot clears out pretty fast when the first signs of sunset start. Well, I've noticed as I was packing up that no one ever comes to close down the forest preserve before it's actually dark. So I decided to try out the fishing right up until I couldn't see anymore. I showed up about twenty minutes before dark and sure enough, the parking lot was still open. I took the 8wt fly rod out and tied on a size 6 popper pattern that I have been working on. (I'll post some fly tying stuff a a later date.) Anyway, I got a lot of hits, but only one hook up. Then I decided to go smaller. I took out the 5wt and tied on a smaller fly. A size 10 spider and BAM!! Fish on!!! Color didn't seem to matter at that point. I think it was more just movement from a small insect of any kind on the water. So it stayed very active right up until dark. Then I packed it up in a hurry and headed out. But all in all a really good way to spend a half hour. I caught nine fish in the time I was there. If you take in to account the time it took me to set up and switch flies, it was not much time actually fishing. So a productive night. It was a lot of fun!! Here's the pics, hope you enjoy!!




As always, till next time,
Tight Lines,
Woolly Bugger

No comments:

Post a Comment